Feb 9, 2017: At an exciting time for Indian golf, Shubham Narain is among a crop of upcoming golfers who promise to carry the Indian flag high for many years to come. At 18, Narain is already an accomplished golfer with a string of successes behind him.
In this special feature Golfing Indian brings you some interesting facts about this young golfer from Delhi.
- Shubham Narain was introduced to the game by Shubhankar Sharma, who is one of the most promising Indian professionals on the PGTI and Asian Tours
- Shubham was trained by Jesse Grewal and Jasjit Singh, who have done a fine job in shaping the game of this prodigiously talented golfer
- Shubham admires Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth as the two biggest heroes in the game of golf
- Shubham has represented the Indian amateur team with distinction over the past two years
- Shubham was 9th in the grand finale at Mission Hills on the Faldo Series Asia in China
- Shubham has won 8th Usha DGC Juniors Golf Championship 2014, jointly with Rohan Rana
- Indian Golf Union nominated Shubham Narain to represent the country at the 9th Asia Pacific Junior Cup in Taiwan
- It will be interesting to see if Shubham might turn professional this season – he finished tied fourth in PGTI Qualifying School 2017 to earn his card for the season
- Even at a young age, Shubham has interesting ideas for the improvement of golf in India
- Shubham wishes that more sponsors come forward to support the game and its governing body, the Indian Golf Union
- Another important step forward in Shubham’s opinion is a thriving environment of inter-school competitions to strengthen golf in India
- Shubham believes that young athletes should avoid falling into the trappings of distractions and focus on their pursuit to achieve success
- Shubham wishes to see golf also gain inclusion into the bouquet of sports that form part of the national quota in sport