June 6, 2017: World number two Rory McIlroy says he has recovered from a rib injury that has kept him out of action since the middle of May and has declared himself fit to compete at this month’s U.S. Open.
The four-times major winner has been regaining fitness at the Quinta do Lago resort in Portugal and will return to action at the year’s second major in Erin Hills, Wisconsin when the tournament begins on June 15.
The world No 2 was a doubt for the June 15-18 event after sustaining a stress fracture of a rib earlier in the year.
McIlroy sustained the injury earlier this year and suffered a recurrence during the Players Championship, where he finished tied for 35th. He subsequently withdrew from the European Tour’s PGA Championship at Wentworth and concerns about his participation in Wisconsin heightened when he failed to play in this weekend’s Memorial Tournament on the PGA Tour.
“I am ready for Erin Hills and looking forward to playing there for the first time,” the 28-year-old McIlroy said to The Guardian.
“The last few weeks have obviously been frustrating… but it was important I got back to a level of fitness where I felt like I could give myself the best possible chance at the U.S. Open.
“As I have said many times before, majors will ultimately determine my golf career but I have had the rest of this busy season to consider as well.”