Asian Tour Release, 25 March 2019: Australia’s Scott Hend returned to winning ways by clinching his first Asian Tour title since 2016 with his dramatic play-off victory over Spain’s Nacho Elvira at the Maybank Championship on Sunday.
Hend held a slender one-shot lead heading into the final hole but late drama ensued when a clap of thunder disrupted Elvira’s approach into the 18th green. The skies opened soon after leaving officials with no choice but to suspend the play at 2.49pm (local time)
- With this victory, Scott Hend moved into second place on the all-time career-earnings list, and becomes the second player to break the US$5 million mark on the Asian Tour.
- Scott Hend has appeared in every edition of the Maybank Championship since it was first played in 2016. His best previous result was 29th in 2017.
- He is the first Australian to win the Asian Tour Order of Merit title in 2016
- All of Hend’s wins have come in Asia.
- Hend is the fourth player after Thailand’s Thaworn Wiratchant, Thongchai Jaidee and Prayad Marksaeng to obtain 10 wins or more on the Asian Tour.
- Nacho Elvira was making his third appearance consecutive appearance at the Maybank Championship and the first time he has made the cut.
- It was also the first time he held the 54-hole lead on the European Tour.
- Jazz Janewattananond has appeared in every edition of the Maybank Championship since it was first played in 2016. His best previous result was a tied-39th finish last year.
- He broke into the world’s top-100 for the first time in his career after claiming his third Asian Tour title at the season-opening event in Singapore in January.
- That victory also earned him a coveted spot in The Open, where he made his Major debut last year.
- Johannes Veerman is born to an Indonesian mother and an American father. He resides in Texas but had spent 13 years living in Asia.
- Veerman came through Asian Tour Qualifying School in 2016 and went on to enjoy a dream rookie season.
- He bagged three consecutive top-10 finishes on the Asian Development Tour (ADT) before securing his breakthrough win at the Taifong Open.
- He became the third American to lift the ADT Order of Merit crown in 2016 with that victory and as well as five other top-10 finishes.